A special meeting of the Board of Education was held on Monday, August 29, beginning at 6:00 p.m. All members of the Board were present.
Mrs. Kathy Lyles led the Board in a goal identification exercise and the Board identified five goal areas that will be further refined.
The goal areas identified are:
#1 Budget management in regards to planning two-three years ahead
#2 Facilities: structures/equipment/programming/infrastructure
#3 Curriculum/Student Achievement issues
a. Keeping our students competitive: Academic upgrades: A.P./college credit courses
b. Be prepared to offer courses that we may not yet know about
c. Maintaining and managing classroom technology
#4 People Resources: replacing key positions/retention/health insurance:
#5 Paperless BOE
The Board also had a business meeting following the goal setting session:
1. The Board received for consideration the 2011-12 Activities Handbook and will consider adoption at the September meeting.
2. Accepted a donation for the Cross Country team to be used to purchase a printing stopwatch.
3. Accepted a bid for a surplus bus.
4. Directed the supt. to advertise for sale, on a first come, first served basis, the light fixtures being replaced in the Stull, JH and East Campus Gyms. $25 each.
5. Authorized the disposal of school district budget documents from 1978-79 through 1998-99.
6. Accepted the recommendation of the 2011-12 Calendar Committee to modify the 2011-12 school calendar as follows:
School will be in session on both days of the State Wrestling Tournament (Thursday and Friday this year) and school will not be in session the Monday following Easter.
The change in calendar was made due to change by the KSHSAA for this year only in the dates of the State Wrestling Tournament.
7. An executive session for the discussion of personnel was held.
8. Took the following personnel actions:
A. Approved Mrs. Kelli Perez as Head HS KAY Sponsor
B. Approved Ms. Melody Bock as the Asst. HS Kay Sponsor
C. Approved Mrs. Cheryl Scott as the EES 4-6 At-Risk Tutor
D. Approved the addition of a third section of grade 2, approved the hire of Miss Kellie Blume as the additional teacher and approved the salary be paid with contingency funds.
9. Took the following action in regards to negotiations:
Agreed to re-open the 2011-12 Master Contract for the sole purpose completing during the 2011-12 school year the implementation of the agreed-upon 403(b) plan. The plan was to have been implemented over three years. Year 1 was completed in 2010-11 and years 2 and 3 were left. This action, which had also been previously approved by the teachers, means all USD 211staff covered by the USD 211 Master Contract will have an employer paid 403(b) account set up this year. Funds for the Year 2 implementation were budged in the current year budget; the funds for implementing Year 3 this year will be paid out of contingency reserve funds.
The 403(b) plan can be found in the USD 211 Master Contract, which is available on-line at www.usd211.org at the Resources tab.